Cardiovascular Fitness for Good Skiing
Welcome to the "huff and puff" part of the TDC fitness program.
How is your Balance coming on?
How is your Core?
How are the Legs doing?
Here's the last stage in keeping fit, the cardio workout. Getting your heart and lungs working will help your body become more efficient during exercise.
This is especially useful when you come skiing at altitude - don't forget, at 1850 metres, Val d'Isere is over a mile above sea level. You might have noticed this on the first walk over to the lift with all your kit, so if you get your body used to processing oxygen efficiently you'll feel the benefits out on the slopes.
"Fartlek" – a new word for you? It just means varying your pace when you walk or run. So if you have a regular route that you walk or run, try these different levels of fartlek.
For example you could change pace every minute, or whenever you pass a lamppost:-
Discovery - Walk / power walk / walk
Development - Jog / run at three quarter pace / jog
Challenges - Run at your normal pace / sprint / run at your normal pace
Fartlek works just as well on a bike, so if that's something you do, try varying your pace on your next ride.
So there's a couple of examples of things you can do for a cardio workout. Remember, just pushing your body even slightly beyond its usual routine is all you need to do to get fitter.
Good luck, I hope you enjoy feeling the benefits of getting fitter.
See you on the slopes !!
Book your Ski Coaching Clinic today...
Our normal clinic times are either 9am - 12noon or 1pm - 4pm, please contact us to find out the exact running times of the clinic of your choice the week that you are skiing.
Or simply book your ski lesson online.
All the TDC Coaching Clinics are designed to give the participants the best opportunity to improve their performance and enjoyment of skiing. The ski clinics will have technical, tactical and psychological focuses according to the needs and goals of the individuals in the group, whilst ensuring that the most important outcome is enjoyment. The choice of terrain will take advantage of the best conditions available on the mountain at the time.
Too often in our experience have we heard "I would love to get better and I know there are things for me to learn but ski school is not for me!"
The Best Ski Lessons in the Alps
Well this is exactly where the instructors and coaches at TDC come in. We do not intend to "tell" you what to do over and over. We are committed to facilitating a full sports coaching environment in which the individual will improve their understanding and have the opportunity to make lasting and rewarding improvements. If you feel like none of the above levels suit you, then maybe Private Development Ski Lessons are for you.
Skiing in the bumps is a massive challenge to your balance. Look at how to deal with this challenge.
what others have been saying about TDC the development centre Val d'Isere, Tignes, Meribel, Courchevel
- "In very bad weather Steve ran an excellent lesson which challenged me but also taught me a lot with good pointers to work on- which I've been doing today and they are starting to pay off. As always Steve never fails to impress."
David, Dec 2014
- "Just wanted to pass on my thanks to Kim. My daughter and I have had a brilliant 5 days, and it has been a revelation getting taught rather than merely following an instructor, not gaining anything except miles!!"
Rona, March 2014
- "We would just like to send a big thank you to you for such great lessons whilst we were in Tignes. We all got a lot from the lessons and our differing abilities were well catered for! Thanks again, we will wholeheartedly recommend you to friends and hope to be back ourselves to learn more!! "
Julie, Hugh & Harry, March 2014
- "I'm just writing to say thank you for a great two weeks of preparation for the BASI Level 4. I still can't believe I've finally got there! The TDC training really made a difference I think."
Ian, Feb 2014
- "The coaching sessions with both Scott and Keiran have been superb - the best ski training I have had. I have learnt a huge amount and had a really good fun time. Thanks very much indeed."
Douglas, Jan 2014