Leg Strength For Good Skiing
Welcome to the leg strength of the TDC fitness programme!
Hopefully your balance is good and your abs are feeling rock hard after the past month, or at least you feel like you've rediscovered some muscles you haven't heard from in a while? Either way you'll have done yourself some good.
Now it's time to add in leg strength to your routine. The benefits of strong legs to skiing are obvious. Everyone's felt the dreaded 'thigh burn' at some point whilst skiing. Stronger leg muscles give you a better chance of skiing well, and skiing for longer periods without getting over-tired. Simple eh?
Quads – Lunges
NB when lunging, your knee must not go beyond your toes
Discovery - Simple lunge
Step one leg forwards and bend your weight onto it, so your front leg forms a right angle. Hold for 2 seconds then push back upright.
Development - Power Lunge
As with the simple lunge, but after holding for 2 seconds, power yourself back upright.
Challenges - Lunge around the clock
As with the simple lunge, but start from a central point and lunge back and forth to the twelve numbers of the clock.
GLUTES – SQUATS
Discovery - Monkey squat
Squat as if you're sitting down on an imaginary chair, raising your arms above your head as you descend. Keep the movement smooth up and down.
Development - Cross-arm squat
Cross your arms in front of you, squat down to an imaginary chair, hold for two seconds then come back up.
Challenges- One legged squat
As the cross-arm squat, but keep one leg slightly lifted in front of you throughout.
Final Tester - One legged balance
In between each circuit, balance for one minute on each leg. Great for skiing!
Discovery - eyes open
Development - eyes closed
Challenges - stand on a rolled up towel
Book your Ski Coaching Clinic today...
Our normal clinic times are either 9am - 12noon or 1pm - 4pm, please contact us to find out the exact running times of the clinic of your choice the week that you are skiing.
Or simply book your ski lesson online.
All the TDC Coaching Clinics are designed to give the participants the best opportunity to improve their performance and enjoyment of skiing. The ski clinics will have technical, tactical and psychological focuses according to the needs and goals of the individuals in the group, whilst ensuring that the most important outcome is enjoyment. The choice of terrain will take advantage of the best conditions available on the mountain at the time.
Too often in our experience have we heard "I would love to get better and I know there are things for me to learn but ski school is not for me!"
The Best Ski Lessons in the Alps
Well this is exactly where the instructors and coaches at TDC come in. We do not intend to "tell" you what to do over and over. We are committed to facilitating a full sports coaching environment in which the individual will improve their understanding and have the opportunity to make lasting and rewarding improvements. If you feel like none of the above levels suit you, then maybe Private Development Ski Lessons are for you.
Skiing in the bumps is a massive challenge to your balance. Look at how to deal with this challenge.
what others have been saying about TDC the development centre Val d'Isere, Tignes, Meribel, Courchevel
- "In very bad weather Steve ran an excellent lesson which challenged me but also taught me a lot with good pointers to work on- which I've been doing today and they are starting to pay off. As always Steve never fails to impress."
David, Dec 2014
- "Just wanted to pass on my thanks to Kim. My daughter and I have had a brilliant 5 days, and it has been a revelation getting taught rather than merely following an instructor, not gaining anything except miles!!"
Rona, March 2014
- "We would just like to send a big thank you to you for such great lessons whilst we were in Tignes. We all got a lot from the lessons and our differing abilities were well catered for! Thanks again, we will wholeheartedly recommend you to friends and hope to be back ourselves to learn more!! "
Julie, Hugh & Harry, March 2014
- "I'm just writing to say thank you for a great two weeks of preparation for the BASI Level 4. I still can't believe I've finally got there! The TDC training really made a difference I think."
Ian, Feb 2014
- "The coaching sessions with both Scott and Keiran have been superb - the best ski training I have had. I have learnt a huge amount and had a really good fun time. Thanks very much indeed."
Douglas, Jan 2014